state-parksYou must obtain a permit before entering the Wilderness. The permits are free, and limit entry to assure solitude and to protect the wilderness area.

While Mt. San Jacinto State Park and Wilderness is open, the Tramway remains closed. There are no tram cars available to take hikers off the mountain until further notice. For more information on the State Park, please visit

Why are Permits Needed?

The growing season is short in the San Jacinto High Country, and plant life has little opportunity to recover from heavy use during the summer months. The permit system has been established to preserve the wild beauty of the back country by keeping use within the carrying capacities of the Wilderness.

Obtaining Your Permit

The San Jacinto Wilderness is managed by two agencies: The United States Forest Service and the California Department of Parks and Recreation. If you are camping, you must get your permit from the agency that administers the area where you plan to spend the night. Overnight permits issued by either agency are honored for daytime travel through the other agency’s lands.

Day-use permits can be obtained on the day of your trip by visiting one of the ranger stations shown on the map below. Day-use permits issued by either agency are honored by both, except during the summer when permits to enter the Wilderness via Devil’s Slide Trail can be obtained only from the U.S. Forest Service.

Download Map

Camping permits may be obtained in advance by mail, in person or by clicking here. Mount San Jacinto State Park accepts up to 56 days in advance. You can also get them on the day of your trip, if any are available at that time. Send your application with a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:

Mount San Jacinto State Wilderness
P.O. Box 308
(25905 Highway 243)
Idyllwild, CA 92549
(951) 659-2607


United States Forest Service
54270 Pine Crest Avenue – P.O. Box 518
Idyllwild, CA 92549
(951) 659-2117